Monday, November 10, 2008

What Little Girls Dream Of

The other day I was talking to a friend from work. And some how we got onto the topics of funerals. She said that she often thinks about what she will say at her friends' funerals. She laughed and said that it makes her feel awkward because she doesn't want any of her loved ones to pass away, but she can't wait to sing their praises and share the memories. Then it made me think of the planning of funerals. You know how some girls dream of their weddings or what it will be like to be married; I dreamed of my own funeral and how I would die. Crazy isn't it??? I've mentioned my Dark Years before (go here).  It was during those years that I really thought about my own funeral.  

My daydreaming of my own funeral wasn't really a dark thing.  I thought about what songs I would like sung, would it be "White As Snow" or "Come Just As You Are" or would both worship songs be sung.  I wondered who I would have speak, would it be Pastor Jack or Jeff Rogers?  Which of my friends would come?  Would anyone from school come?  Contemplating my own funeral always made me evaluate how I was living my life.  What would people say was my purpose for living?  Would people even know I was saved?  Did I share how the Lord forgives and loves with people?  What sort of light was I to the world? 

Thinking about my death always made draw closer to the Lord.  I wanted to be a child that He could say "Well done my good and faithful servant".  

I still think about it every once in a while.  And it still draws my closer to my Lord, always desiring to hear Him say "Well done my good and faithful servant".

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I have to say I havent ever thought about that before. Maybe just cause I have had so much of it in my life that I cant imagine those kinds of things.